ISC DHCP server offers fixed IP addresses to ANY device!

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Jan 29 21:16:02 UTC 2009

> Relatively, we only have a few things queued up right now, and we just
> did the finals for the last round.  I'm guessing order of magnitude of
> months to the next beta, but it depends.

Are there any plans to do anything about known bugs? I have several that
I regard as fairly important to get fixed:

> Subject: Re: Failover peer separation revisted
> From: sthaug at nethelp.no
> To: dhcp-users at isc.org, rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net
> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:40:07 +0100 (CET)
>
> I have a reproducible case here where hosts in a failover pair never
> reconnect after a break in the network between them. Configuration is
> included at the end of this message.

In connection with this, the following message may also be important:

> Subject: Possible starvation of redundancy messages in failover pair?
> From: sthaug at nethelp.no
> To: dhcp-users at isc.org
> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:32:44 +0200 (CEST)

And then there's the long standing memory leak:

> Subject: dhcpd memory leak (was: Re: dhcpd process hitting data size limit)
> From: sthaug at nethelp.no
> To: dhcp-users at isc.org
> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:43:44 +0100 (CET)

... which we currently work around by restarting the DHCP servers at
regular intervals.

These bugs involve servers in a failover pair, and around 100k leases
with the lease time set to one day. The failover pair runs on FreeBSD
7.0-STABLE. The reconnect bug has also been reproduced on Linux. As
far as I know other people have seen the memory leak problem on Linux
(also running in a failover pair).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no