DHCP static leases

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Jan 27 13:21:50 UTC 2009

Hi Brandon

I can think of two different solutions hare.

1. Give your printers a new IP address so that all the fixed-address
hosts are grouped together outside the dynamic range?

2. Give them a really *long* lease time, like one or more years. Could
either use a class/sub-class or group, eg:

# printers
group {
	min-lease-time 31536000;	# one year
	host foo { hardware ethernet ...; }
}

or

class "printers" {
	match hardware;
	min-lease-time 31536000;	# one year
}
subclass "printers" 1:8:0:2b:4c:39:ad;

See the section in the dhcpd.conf man page titled SUBCLASSING.

regards,
-glenn