Mapping a MAC to an IP...

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 15:59:52 UTC 2009

At 10:51 -0500 21/1/09, Todd Snyder wrote:
>My understanding is that you have to "break" the range to add host
>declarations.
>
>This, to me, is the biggest pain I have with DHCP in a a production
>environment.  What could be a nice general range declaration, with some
>hosts entries turns into a bunch of broken up and hard to dissect range
>declarations with hosts declarations sprinkled throughout.  for 5
>entries, it's no biggie, but when putting in 50 or 60 hosts into a /24
>there are a lot of lines. Multiply that by a few /24's and maintenance
>gets to be quite difficult at times.

I've never had a problem that way, but then I'm managed my IP's
rather than scattering stuff all over the subnet in a random manner !
I guess that's no help if you've inherited a network from an admin
that just plugged stuff in and let it keep the address it got :-(

Also, if you are in that situation, there is now (I believe) another
option - you can mark a lease as reserved and it will be handled the
same as a dynamic address EXCEPT that it will be kept for use by the
same client and never re-allocated.

--
Simon Hobson