Searching for documentation on dhcpT1value

Halim Issa yallaone at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 09:48:04 UTC 2009

Thanks much for very quick and to-the-point answer! Quick follow-up:

On Saturday 10 January 2009 10:37:50 Simon Hobson wrote:
> Halim Issa wrote:
> >I'm running dhcpd 3.0.5 and have for a while now searched in vain for
> >documentation on how dhcpT1value and dhcpT2value are to be set.
> >

> Which client ?

Sorry for leaving that out - client is dhcpcd-2.0.8

> T1 and T2 are (IIRC) the times at which the client will firstly
> attempt to renew it's lease with the original issuing server, and if
> that fails, to broadcast for a new lease. The defaults are (IIRC) 1/2
> and 7/8ths of the lease time.

Aha - so the best practice would be to actually leave T1 and T2 undefined on
the server and let the client use the default 1/2 and 7/8 of the values set in
dhcpd.conf so that if I change the lease, I don't have to remember to
statically change dhcpT1time and dhcpT2time?
Or is it possible to define these values in the configuration as percentages
of the lease time as a more dynamic and configuration-friendly way of shutting
up the warning?

>  From 'man dhcp-options' :
> >       option dhcp-rebinding-time
> >uint32;

<snip>

I didn't realize these were referring to the actual T1 and T2 fields...

-h