host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Thu Feb 26 23:17:48 UTC 2009

David W. Hankins wrote:

> I'm inclined to make 'hardware ethernet ...;' just work, assuming
> the client is sending either of those two types of DUID, but we
> probably need to write a draft to open up the 'opacity' of these
> fields.

I've never worked on a draft, but I'd certainly be willing to whatever I can
help out on this issue.  The lack of visibility of the sending HW address
(which basically makes every machine more or less anonymous) means that a
bunch of our workflows don't work over IPv6.  Based on the number of requests
I've seen on the list looking to ignore the DHCPv4 client identifier in favor
of the HW address, I'd bet that we're not the only site to feel that way.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken