host-identifier with IPv6

Glen R. J. Neff neff_glen at emc.com
Thu Feb 26 21:11:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 10:03 +1300, Eustace, Glen wrote:
> I have just started working with 4.1 and IPv6.  I have been reading
> the manual and trying to find examples of configs but am at a loss as
> to how to replace the ‘hardware mac-address’ with ‘host-identifier
> option ????’
>

> What should ???? be and if I want to use the mac-address how do I go
> about it ?

If you want to do MAC addresses based addressing with IPv6, what I would
suggest is just allowing your router to respond to router solicitations
and letting your clients use state-less auto-config to configure
themsevles with EUI-64, MAC address-based addresses, then relying upon
DHCPv6 to issue DNS and search domain information only, not actual
addressing.

That's what I do in the IPv6 environments that I manage.

-G

--
/*
 * Glen R. J. Neff