DHCP Queue

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 21:06:00 UTC 2009

Brad Dameron wrote:

>So speaking of this. I am looking at Altec-Lucent Vital QIP which
>has a DHCP offering that can do 6400+ leases per second. Those are
>4-way handshakes on a dual dual-core 2.33Ghz machine with mirrored
>120GB SATA1 drives running on a Red Hat 5 linux. I just don't see
>why this can't be accomplished with ISC DHCP as well.
>The fastest I have seen with ISC is about 1200 per second. And that
>was with the fastest machine we could get using a ramdisk for leases
>and turning logging completely off. I'm baffeled by that.

Can't speak for that particular program as I know nothing about it,
but there are things that can be done (or rather omitted) by a DHCP
server to make it faster. I've read on this list of a test involving
a commercial server product from a well known software house that ran
like the proverbial off a shovel - but when the power plug was
pulled, unlike the ISC server it was found not to have stored the
last few thousand leases pulled by the test package.

It would be interesting to see if your Altec-Lucent server will have
properly stored the details of every lease acknowledged while serving
6400+ leases per second if you yank the power plug on it. Not saying
it doesn't, but it would be an interesting test !

--
Simon Hobson