DHCPD 4.0.0

Dean, Barry B.Dean at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 14:25:55 UTC 2009

I have recently completed a migration from 10 small NetBSD 3.1 based "servers" (old PCs!) with DHCPD 3.0.1rc11 arranged in 5 pairs (an installation I inherited) to 4 Solaris 10 based x4200 servers with DHCPD 4.0.0.

We have noticed 2 problems since the migration.

1) A annoyance
	We have a log monitoring program and it spots lines of the form:

	dhcpd: [ID 702911 daemon.error] uid lease w.x.y.z for client aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff is duplicate on <network>

	And emails them to us as "unusual", be we see hundreds of them... Any idea why? The busier the day, the more of these messages we get. Looking at the UIDs in the leases file they look odd and I can't figure out how they are calculated, eg:

	uid "\001\000\007\351\327sg";

2) A show stopper!
	Twice now we have had machines that have picked up a dynamic lease, then we have allocated a fixed lease, after doing do we see DHCPREQUESTs from the machine for the old dynamic lease followed by a:

	DHCPREQUEST for w.x.y.z from aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff via e1000g2: lease w.x.y.z unavailable.

	After which the server stops responding! Not good!

I think I have asked about this before, but don't think we really got the root cause of either problem. Number 1 I can live with, number 2 results in much ear ache!

To stop 2, do I have to remove dynamic leases before changing them to static ones?

Barry Dean
Networks Team
Computing Services Department
University of Liverpool