dhcp 3.0.5 crashes with lots of lease imbalance messages

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Tue Dec 15 20:40:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 04:59:50PM +0800, K. K. Tam wrote:
> The number of these messages ranges from 800 to 1000 before the daemon
> crashes.  It is observed

This is usually a symptom of a lease database inconsistency.  A
short-term fix will be to 'fault' the database on one of the servers
so the peer picks up a fresh copy and they have a consistent image to
start with.  It may slowly drift, I can't remember what we fixed after
3.0.5.

3.0.5 also predates POOLREQ storm bugfixes if I remember right,
wherein servers would never stop trying to perform lease database
balance operations...the first POOLREQs the second, which causes it
to POOLREQ the first, which causes it to POOLREQ the second...

This is probably why you get storms of these log messages.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.