dhcp not updating dns server

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 22:36:27 UTC 2009

I'm putting in an ISC DHCPD server to replace Microsoft DHCP server because
it is a pain in the neck managing reserved hosts in Microsoft's DHCP.

Anyway, it won't add the clients that it assigns addresses for to the DNS
servers. I've set the zones on the dns servers to accept secure and
non-secure updates, and here is my dhcpd.conf:
--------------------
##### SERVER SETTINGS #####

ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;
update-static-leases on;

zone bucoks.com {
primary 192.168.100.2;
secondary 192.168.100.3;
}
zone 100.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
primary 192.168.100.2;
secondary 192.168.100.3;
}

option domain-name "company.com";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.100.2, 192.168.100.3;

# 8-day leases
default-lease-time 69102;

# disable bootp
deny bootp;
#deny dynamic bootp clients;

##### SUBNET SETTINGS #####

subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.254.0 {
option routers 192.168.100.1;
option subnet-mask 255.255.254.0;

range 192.168.100.0 192.168.101.254;

host server1 {
option host-name "server1.company.com";
hardware ethernet 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
fixed-address 192.168.100.4;
} # end of host

host server2 {
option host-name "server2.company.com";
hardware ethernet 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
fixed-address 192.168.100.5;
} # end of host

} # end of subnet

I can't find anything about even attempting to update dns in the logs, just
that the dhcp addresses were requested and acknowledged, and all static and
dynamic clients are getting addresses just fine.

Any ideas? I'm not even sure if it's really not even trying to do the dns
updates or if I just need to set something to get some better logging?  A
tcpdump shows that the dhcp server is not even attempting any communication
with the dns server.