Problems with DHCP using VLANs

Tim Gavin livewire98801 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:25:53 UTC 2009

> Actually, /etc/default/dhcpd3-server does NOT override
> /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf. It provides command line options for the startup
> script in /etc/init.d to pass to the server.
>
> You either need a config file (and /etc/default is standard on Debian based
> systems) or you end up hacking the startup scripts to set options.

The standard /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf was there, as was
/etc/default/dhcpd3-server .  The 'default' script had an INTERFACES=
line, as did the dhcpd.conf, and the one in the 'default' script was
taking precedent somehow.  That was the only info in that script, so I
just deleted it and took out the reference to it in
/etc/init.d/dhcp3-server .

Is it possible in future versions to put some kind of syslog output
that says what interfaces dhcpd is listening on?  If I had seen output
like that, I would have known what to look for. . . as it was there
was no sign that that was anything wrong with the configs until
Simon's comment. . .

Thanks,

Tim