Specifying the default gateway on DHCPv6

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Tue Aug 25 18:46:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:19:56PM +0200, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> > Is it possible (if in the specs at all) to specify the default IPv6
> > gateway through DHCPv6 ?
>
> Nope, not possible today. There is a proposal on the table to make
> this possible, but it is not standardized / implemented yet.

i have a lab implementation of droms' draft, but i have not heard any
news of the draft's progression from ietf stockholm.

several unexpected workloads and resulting backlogs have kind of
interfered with my ability to track ietf work lately, so i wouldn't be
surprised if i missed some news.

anyway, if you control the clients, then you can use the ipv6 "VSIO"
options to send this information for the time being (my lab
implementation was creating an ISC VSIO option space for this purpose
until droms' draft surfaced...).