migrate from (very) old dhcp/server to new one

andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it
Tue Aug 25 11:48:36 UTC 2009

Hello,

we have a very old ( 3.0rc4 ) dhcpd Server on a SLES 8 and want to
migrate to a current version and a new server.

Is there documentation available on how to do this and what are the pitfalls.

Is it possible to migrate the actual dhcpd.leases file the way the
machines continue to get the same IP as they have now ?
I discovered that for a reason I don't know for certain MAC addresses
there are more then one leases in the dhcpd.leases that have a past
"ends". Is there a tool to clean the file ? cleane_leases.pl does not
work because without -f it does not delete the decayed leases and with
-f it deletes leases it should not.

Thank you very much
Andreas