migration suggestions

Terry L. Inzauro tinzauro at ha-solutions.net
Wed Aug 19 13:22:55 UTC 2009

sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>>> If your clients can live with some downtime (remember, this will only
>>> affect *new* clients which don't already have a lease), you can shut
>>> down everything and move it all in one go.
>> wouldn't that cause IP conflicts, as the new infrastructure wouldn't
>> know the old leases?
>
> Um, I had assumed that you would copy over the leases files - otherwise
> you will indeed have problems as you suggested.
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

If I may ask, why are you moving machines? If I were a gambling man, I'd say it was to re-purpose some hardware or something
along those lines.  If that is the case, virtualization can be your good friend in a time of need.

If possible:

1. install xen on new machine(s)
2. duplicate 'A' into xen domU (cpio or tar works well for this)
3. duplicate 'B' into xen domU (cpio or tar works well for this)
4. perform some testing
5. perform some more testing
6. disable 'A' and 'B'
7. fire up 'C' and 'D'

obviously, my steps are a bit terse.  i performed a similar migration a few weeks ago and it worked flawlessly.  to
complicate things a little more, i even moved an old redhat es box into a debian lenny domU. no issues at all.

regards,

_Terry