IPv6 DUIDs

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Thu Aug 13 22:14:31 UTC 2009

Hopefully this will not resurrect the previous thread but we have been doing some more thinking about how we might work within what the client implementations already support yet get the control etc we have had in v4.

In Windows, the DUID is stored in a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters

What we have been considering, and I haven't tried it yet, is to set this ourselves.  If we make the time portion a constant and use the MAC address we already have in our admin database, we end up with a unique consistent value that can easily be generated in the hosts files etc for dhcpd.

If we have a known algorithm for creating this quantity, we can run a program/script on the client either as part of the build process or installation.  This should cover Linux, MacOS X and Windows.

Am I missing anything obvious that would invalidate such a scheme ?

--
Glen Eustace, Infrastructure Development Engineer (BC/DR)
Information Technology Services, Massey University PN460