Dual DNS server farms in dhcpd.conf

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 18:29:59 UTC 2009

John Tabasz (jtabasz) wrote:

>So I understand properly,  when you say putting
>the host statements inside a scope other than global isn't generally a
>good idea, you are referring to the shared network scope plus the second
>scope of the subnet, right?

Exactly. In your config, the host statements are inside the
shared-subnet - a case we haven't come across before so I'm not
entirely sure what happens here. A couple of times, user have put
host statements inside a subnet declaration (erroneously) thinking
that this would make the statement valid only within that subnet.
They've them come to the list wondering why a client gets an IP
address, but other options (such as routers !) from the wrong subnet
when the client is connected elsewhere.

What's happened in that case is that the client gets an IP according
to the subnet where it is connected, but inherits options from the
subnet where it's declared. Hence we keep advising to keep host
statement in the global scope.

I think in your case it **probably** isn't an issue since there are
no options declared at the shared-network level - but best to avoid
it anyway.

--
Simon Hobson