Silly config or bug?

Dean, Barry B.Dean at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Apr 24 13:41:28 UTC 2009

We have a router vlan interface with two subnets on it, one primary and one secondary IP. Attached to these subnets are a number of our public access PCs.

On our old DHCP servers, NetBSD 3.1 DHCPD 3.0.1rc11, each of these is defined as a subnet, but are not encapsulated within a "shared network" declaration.

I recently switched to point to the new servers, Solaris 10 DHCPD 4.0.0, and none of the PCs on the secondary subnet could get an IP.

The errors in the log indicated that the server thought the DHCPDISCOVER had come from the primary router interface!

The way I see this, we have 3 options:

1) Split these subnets up onto separate VLANs and stop using a secondary IP on the interface.
2) Wrap both subnets in a "shared network" declaration, would that work?
3) It's a bug in 4.0.0 not present in 3.0.1rc11 and could be fixed?

Any ideas welcome.

Barry Dean
Networks Team
Computing Services Department
Tel: 0151 794 5641 (x45641), Web: http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~bvd/
---
Nice boy, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.
                -- Foghorn Leghorn