Restricting ONT's Ethernet port to singe active IP address

Jerimiah Cole jcole at tbtc.net
Wed Apr 22 21:23:52 UTC 2009

Frank Bulk wrote:
> This is great real world information, thanks.

My pleasure.

> How do you go about releasing an IP address if a customer had two active
> leases for old equipment and you need to get a third going?  With a cable
> modem we reboot it, with DSL it doesn't really happen with PPPoA/E.

By manually shutting down the server and hacking the lease database,
temporarily increasing the lease limit or waiting for one of the old
leases to expire.

Not great options.

We're a small operation and this doesn't happen frequently enough for us
to worry too much about it.  We also use short leases (1 hour), so that
helps minimize the occurrence and impact.

I once gave the OMAPI docs a quick look and it didn't appear that it was
possible to exipre or otherwise release an active lease.  Maybe an OMAPI
expert can chime in.

Jerimiah