IPv6 router advertisement

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Apr 20 17:37:10 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:38:54AM +0200, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> radvd is due to the small subnet size not working of course, so not
> employable.

I thought radvd can announce the prefix with the SLAAC bit cleared?

The currently (deployed) IPv6 model is that you MUST have an RA that
delivers the default router and locally attached prefix information.

So working out how to get radvd to emit what you want is the key.

Note however that at least dhclient, and one or two others, DHCPv6
software will presume a /64 prefix for any offered addresses, in order
to work around a bug-in-the-protocol where an RA failure leads to the
addressed clients being unable to speak to each other.

> I hope there is a solution waiting out there in the vast continuum of
> cyberspace! :-)

There's currently a default gateway and prefix option draft before the
DHC WG, which will help us resolve the above bug-in-the-protocol and
eliminate the strict requirement for RA.