Never expire leases.

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Apr 17 23:37:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 03:41:48PM -0700, Keith wrote:

> I have about 10 IP's that are part of a /24 that somehow are set to never
> expire in a dhcpd.leases file and it is causing a bit of pain.
>
> lease 209.145.126.22 {
>   starts 1 2008/10/27 20:05:10;
>   ends never;
>   tstp 2 2038/01/19 03:14:07;
>   binding state active;
>   next binding state free;
>   hardware ethernet 00:1c:df:cf:e4:59;
> }

Do you have "dynamic bootp" enabled?  BOOTP leases are infinite by
protocol definition.

> Can I just stop dhcpd and edit the lease file and delete these leases and
> restart dhcpd? I know its not good to edit the lease file, but I don't see
> any other choice here.

That should be fine, just be sure those clients really aren't using
those addresses on the network.  I would:

1. turn off dynamic bootp on the server:

  pool {
            deny dynamic bootp clients;
  };

  and remove "dynamic-bootp" from any range statements.

2. remove any static IP configuration on the clients, reconfigure them
to use DHCP instead of BOOTP, reboot them.