dhcpd failover: link startup timeout

Johannes Gilger gilger at rz.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Apr 16 11:55:16 UTC 2009

Hi list,

I've figured out how to set one dhcpd in my setup into partner-down
mode. Now I'm having a problem where, after one host returns, that both
hosts have a minutely:
dhcpd2 dhcpd: failover: link startup timeout
in their logfiles.

That by itself is not that troubling, inspecting the failover-state
tells me that both peers are in state 2 (normal), and they're
communcating (you can see that when you start one up). But after an hour
(which is the MCLT right now) one of the hosts starts complaining about
this:
dhcpd1 dhcpd: commit_leases: unable to commit: Bad file descriptor
and fails to give out leases.

I'm sorry if my question isn't quite to the point or if I'm missing
something obvious here.

Greetings,
Jojo