Editing dhcpd.conf without corrupting leases

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Tue Apr 14 07:03:14 UTC 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:17:35 -0700
> Von: "David W. Hankins" <David_Hankins at isc.org>
> An: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
> Betreff: Re: Editing dhcpd.conf without corrupting leases

> To the best of my knowledge, OMAPI is the current only way to move the
> server to a safe shutdown.  We keep meaning to add both proper SIGTERM
> ("safe shutdown") handling, and a SIGHUP handler, but it has not yet
> materialized.
>
> We maintain OMAPI to the extent that we reasonably can, but it is on a
> long term plan for phaseout.

If OMAPI is on a longterm plan for phasout, what is the lonterm plan what should do the job OMAPI is doing?

For example, I have a bigger installation where we have many host-entries with fixed addresses. Because there are often changes to these host entries we cannot maintain them in the dhcpd.conf (if we do, we had to reload the dhcpd.conf each time, the server would only doing reload all the time and don't serve as DHCP-server any more at all), so we maintain them via OMAPI which is working quite well. So if you plan to remove OMAIP on a long term, what is the way this should be done in the future?

Tom.
--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dslspecial.gmx.de/freedsl-surfflat/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a