Need to monitor DHCP performance remotely

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:48:47 UTC 2008

Hi,

I need to set up DHCP probes in several remote areas of campus to
monitor DHCP response times -- not so much the performance of the server
itself but rather how long it takes to get a response back over the
network.  The probes would be running on statically addressed Linux
boxes and log the response times.

I have tried the Perl module Net::DHCP.  Amongst the example programs
included in the package is dhcpd_test.pl.  When I try it from my
desktop, it sends the DHCPDISCOVER packet but hangs waiting for the
DHCPOFFER response.  A sniffer sees both the discover and the offer.
DHCP programming is not my forté, so I'm not sure what's wrong.  Does
anybody have some code that will work?  Or can someone suggest another
package that might meet my needs.

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
UNIX Service Manager