DHCP failover setup with several relay agents

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Sep 22 14:17:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:10:59AM -0400, Robert Blayzor wrote:
> The question is, can a DHCP failover setup work for relay agents if
> requests are only directed at one server?  Now, I know that this is not
> the perfect failover setup, as if the primary failed, the agents would
> have to be directed toward the working server.  This can easily be fixed
> with the L3 switch we have in front of the servers that can direct
> traffic for a virtual IP instead of the physical IP's if the active
> server fails.

Why do you want to do this?  DHCP is designed to handle the case where
requests are relayed to multiple servers simultaneously.  You can
either create multiple Cisco ip helper statements, or use a directed
subnet broadcast address of both/all servers are on the same subnet.