dhcp with two relay agents

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 16:24:40 UTC 2008

fadey wrote:
>Thanks for your reply. I was trying to simplify my network setup and
>messed it up :-)
>
>I'm in a cable network. Behind every router I have about 3-5 different
>networks. Thats why I use shared-network option:
>
>shared-network eth1 {
>   subnet that.is.on.networkcard1 {...}
>   subnet router1.cable_modems {...}
>   subnet router1.emtas {...}
>   subnet router1.hosts1 {...}
>   subnet router1.hosts2 {...}
>}

You do NOT need a local network card for each remote subnet. Try this :
shared-network eth1 {
   subnet router1.cable_modems {...}
   subnet router1.emtas {...}
   subnet router1.hosts1 {...}
   subnet router1.hosts2 {...}
}

Make a shared network for EACH SHARED NETWORK. A shared network is
one where ON THE SAME BIT OF WIRE you have multiple subnets. So the
stuff behind router1 is NOT on a shared network with stuff behind
router2 or with stuff connected directly to the server.
--
Simon Hobson