hardware type classing

Terry L. Inzauro tinzauro at ha-solutions.net
Fri Oct 24 19:13:21 UTC 2008

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Terry L. Inzauro wrote:
>
>> I am trying to assign IP information using substring MAC address
>> matching but I can't seem to get it
>> right.  Am i going about this the correct way? If not, what am I doing
>> wrong?
>>

>> class "shoretel" {
>>         match if ( (substring(hardware,1,6) = 10:49:0A) );
>> }
>
> Close, but you are fetching SIX bytes and comparing it to a THREE byte
> value - you want substring(hardware,1,3) I think.

Ok, even after I altered changed the values from 1,6 to 1,3 the same result occurs. It now reads:

class "shoretel" {
        match if substring (hardware,1,3) = 00:10:49;
}

Does it matter that i have 2 other "classes" defined?  I have a class that  is setup like this:

class "ip_phone" {
        match hardware;
        }

subclass "ip_phone" 1:00:E0:bb:1B:52:28; # extension 101

 pool {
                     range 10.120.120.1 10.120.120.30;
                     allow members of "ip_phone";
                     #deny unknown-clients;
                   }

and another class that is the "default" class for that segment. If i place a "deny"  statement in
the "default" pool, i get a bunch of "no free leases" in syslog. at this point it seems that my
matching statement isn't setup up right or i'm not applying the class definition correctly to the pool.

any other ideas?

thank you in advanced.

_Terry