DHCP and multiple VLANs

santi at usansolo.net santi at usansolo.net
Mon Oct 13 11:59:44 UTC 2008

Dear Glenn.

> There's two possible solutions here.
>
> The first one you have worked out - have multiple vlans visible on the
> dhcp server. dhcp requires an IP address on each subnet so that it can
> match up the subnet definition in dhcpd.conf to an interface where
> requests are coming in.
>
> The second way to do this is to have only a single vlan configured on
> the dhcpd server. Then use the router or switch as the dhcp-relay to
> forward requests from each vlan to the dhcp server. In a Cisco router
> or switch this is ip-helper.
>
> In both cases dhcpd.conf would be very similar, it's just the way the
> requests get to dhcpd that differs.

Thanks for the help, it could be posible to make this using "dhcp3-relay"
package?

dhcp3-relay listening on all interfaces and dhcpd3 listening only in a
dummy interface?

Perhaps dhcp3-relay can forward all request to the dummy iface? I don't
want to "waste" more IPs in vlan interfaces :-/

Regards,

--
Santi Saez
http://woop.es