ISC DHCP -Vista IP Address Acquiring Issue

kushal Parikh kushalp.ext at gtlinfra.com
Wed Oct 8 13:30:28 UTC 2008

Dear All,

This is with reference to above mentioned subject.

We have an ISC Dhcp server (Version 3) installed at one of our site, used to
assign IP Address to users in wireless setup i.e. User get IP from DHCP via
wireless Radios. This server was installed approx 1.5 yrs back and is
working absolutely fine for Windows XP user.

But now with use of Windows Vista and increased number of customers for
vista, we are facing the issue of dhcp not able to assign the IP to vista
users.

The system continuously displays acquiring IP message and finally the
request is dropped (i.e. the user doesn't connect).

Though at times the user does get the IP address through DHCP and he is able
to browse as any other OS user. But the chances of these successful
connections are approx 5%.

This entire setups is for Wireless Network. That is the user trying to get
the IP address in a wireless environment through DHCP.

Again the same works fine (almost all the time), when we try to get the IP
address from DHCP in LAN (weird) environment.

That is connecting to the DHCP Server through a Layer 3 switch.

We would like to know what could be the cause of this VISTA - IP acquiring
issue.

We do have some latency in our wireless network but again it works fine for
any other OS than Vista.

Requesting Support.

Thanks & Regards

Kushal Parikh