using dhcpd with mysql

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Oct 1 19:08:26 UTC 2008

> Why do you want to hold data about leases in a mysql databases. I cannot
> see an advantage ?

For some of us this is actually very relevant: dhcpd can use its native
format *but* we also need to put the lease info into a database, to make
it available for customer support etc. The lease info is an integral
part of the various support systems and must be reasonably up to date
- parsing the leases file once per hour or so is simply not good enough.

At the moment we have processes tail -f'ing the leases file and the dhcpd
log file, parsing the info and inserting it into the appropriate database.
This works, but certainly doesn't feel like an elegant / optimal solution.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no