multiple interfaces

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 10:07:22 UTC 2008

Tom Schmitt wrote:

>I'm using dhcp v 3.1.1 on a server with several network-interfaces.
>I want the dhcpd only to use one of these interfaces.
>
>Of course I can type the name of the interface on the command line
>when I invoke the dhcpd, but I would really like to do this via the
>dhcpd.conf.
>
>Is there any possibility to define the networkinterface in the
>dhcpd.conf? I couldn't find anything in man dhcpd.conf.

No, the command line method is the only way. But bear in mind that
many Linux distributions provide a way to do this - for example, in
Debian, you can put a list of interfaces in
/etc/default/dhcp<somthing>

However, depending on your needs, it might be possible to fudge it.
If you are able to run a dhcp server on the other networks, then you
can simply define a subnet for each interface and then specify
"ignore booting" in the subnet declaration. The server will still
start up on those interfaces, but it will simply ignore all packets
received.

--
Simon Hobson