Strange DHCPINFORM

fadey fadey at scancom.es
Sat May 17 19:41:12 UTC 2008

Thanks a lot for your reply, David

Yes, I'm running quite old dhcpd version (3.0.1). This is the version
that CentOS 4.6 has in its repo.

I'm using the dhcp in a cable network (docsis). All DHCP requests from
clients are being relayed to the dhcp server by the main router's (CMTS)
relay agent.

clients_network->CMTS_router->dhcp_server

So, my doubt is, who is responsible for that 0.0.0.0 source address in
the INFORM packet? Is it the client's machine or router's relay agent

We had an incident last Friday in our network.
After this line in the log (I've just changed the real IP to 1.1.1.1) we
stopped receiving dhcp traffic until we have restarted the router 2
hours later:

May 15 21:19:51 mydhcpserv dhcpd: DHCPINFORM from 1.1.1.1 via eth1:
unknown subnet 0.0.0.0

If anyone has experienced something like this before or knows of how I
could obtain more information to resolve it, if it happens againg,
please answer.

Thanks in advance.