Address allocation not working correctly

Eric Helm helmwork at ruraltel.net
Wed May 7 01:23:27 UTC 2008

Corley, Kenneth L (Kenny) wrote:
> Eric,
>
> The Extreme has the following DHCP relay config:
>
> enable bootprelay
> configure bootprelay add 10.100.0.2  (10.100.0.2 is the DHCP server)
> configure ip-down-vlan-action forward
>
> I did notice when looking at the DHCP DISCOVER from Set Top Box going
> from the Extreme to the DHCP server that the bootp flag - relay agent IP
> address - is set to 10.6.0.1.  I assume this is why the DHCP server is
> allocating from the 10.6.0.x subnet?  But I have deny statements for the
> Set Top box class in the data or 10.6.0.x scope.
>
> Would you happen to know how to configure the Extreme to send 10.5.0.1
> in relay agent field of DISCOVER for STBs and send 10.6.0.1 in relay
> agent field of DISCOVER for anything other than STBs (ie. PCs/laptops)?

As far as I know, it cannot be done, but it shouldn't matter with the
dhcp shared-network because it will service both networks regardless if
the giaddr is 10.6.0.1 or 10.5.0.1.

You'll need to make sure your Option 82 classes are accurate and
matching in the dhcpd.conf and that the Extreme is not stripping that
information out of the DHCP packets. By the looks of the Extreme config,
  you'll need to add that line:

configure bootprelay dhcp-agent information policy keep

/Eric