tuning for maximum dhcp performance

Brad Dameron Brad.Dameron at clearwire.com
Tue May 6 18:49:46 UTC 2008

Speaking of performance. We have some very busy DHCP servers and have
come to find a couple tuning items that have seem to double our
performance.

The biggest one being adjusting your logging facility to not write each
line individually but to bulk write. In the syslog.conf file you should
enter a - in front of the log file path. This tells it to cache and
write several lines at a time. Which helps alleviate disk thrashing.

Example:

Local6.*					-/var/log/dhcpd.log

Or if you are using syslog-ng set the sync option to 20.

The next option we adjust is a setting in the code that requires a
re-compile. It appears the hashing algorithm isn't very well tuned for
larger instances that have to be restarted. We went from a 45 second
restart down to under 5 seconds with this little change.

In the includes/dhcpd.h file find LEASE_HASH_SIZE. Change it from 100003
to 250007.

Hope this helps.

Brad