DHCPREQUEST of <null address>

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue May 6 15:20:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:07:31PM +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> So, do you have any idea why client->requested_address would be set to
> "<null address>" before the lease expires?

In renewal, clients are required to set ciaddr, and required not to
set the DHCP option 'dhcp-requested-address' (RFC2131 section 4.3.2,
but 4.3.6 has a table that is easier to read).

Sounds normal to me.  The patch to include the requested address is
clearly wrong; the correct approach is to use ciaddr if nonzero and
requested-address otherwise.