Windows ignoring DHCPOFFER is broadcast

Jamie Savage jsavage at yorku.ca
Thu Mar 27 18:17:32 UTC 2008

Hi,
   I have a situation where I have setup a subnet with DCHP
relay...ie....A Cisco router in this case with the subnet interface
config'd with the IP-helper command pointing to a DHCP server on another
subnet.   I fire up my XP-SP2 laptop which starts looking for an IP
address.  The 'remote' DHCP server sees the DHCPdiscover come in and sends
out a DHCPoffer which is broadcast out to the originating subnet.   My
XP-SP2 machine sees the broadcast (which carries the laptops MAC address
buried in the Bootstrap Protocol portion of the frame) but ignores
it...ie...it does not send a DHCPrequest back.   However, when I plug a
MAC (Leopard) laptop or a LINUX laptop into the same port....they
negotiate a  DHCP address with no problem.   Now, when I plug my XP-SP2
laptop into another subnet which also uses DHCP-relay but points to a
different DHCP server.....it works fine!   However, in this case the
DHCPoffer is unicast specifically to the laptops MAC....ie....not
broadcast.  .   I would think that any client that sees a broadcast frame
with their MAC in the Bootstrap Protocol should respond.   Should
DHCPoffers be unicast or broadcast or both?? Can someone point me in a
direction to start looking?....I'm not sure if this is a Windows issue, a
DHCP server issue or some networking issue.

.........thanks in advance............J

James Savage                                   York University
Senior Communications Tech.       108 Steacie Building
jsavage at yorku.ca                            4700 Keele Street
ph: 416-736-2100 ext. 22605            Toronto, Ontario
fax: 416-736-5701                                M3J 1P3, CANADA