dhcpd memory leak

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Mar 25 06:33:00 UTC 2008

> > Enabled in the config file. Memory leak shows up even if the OMAPI
> > interface isn't actually *used* though.
>
> i haven't seen a memory leak on our own failover pair during 3.1.1b1's
> internal testing, but this doesn't mean it doesn't exist...just that
> it's very hard for me to guess or even try to repair it.
>
> the omapi memory leak will leak on every connection, so including if
> someone is portscanning you and not being firewalled out, it only
> takes accept() to succeed.

I commented out the OMAPI lines in the config as an experiment, and our
DHCP servers are now *not* listening for OMAPI connections at all. The
memory leak still occurs though. In this case the servers were restarted
without OMAPI at 22:33. One started leaking at 04:01 and the other at
05:12. It seems reasonable to assume that the leak is triggered by some
external event - traffic either from a client, or from the failover peer.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no