Warning: subnet overlaps subnet

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue Mar 18 16:38:05 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:13:49AM -0500, John Hascall wrote:
> >
> > Mar 18 10:47:06 netreg-2 dhcpd: \
> > Warning: subnet 129.186.145.108/32 overlaps subnet 129.186.144.0/23

> Why are you trying to create an IP subnet with a single host in it?

> Shared-network and subnet declarations must describe the actual IP
> routed topology.
    I was afraid of that.

OK.  Let me step back.  Here's what I would like to accomplish.
We have two DHCP servers.  We do not use failover.
One is the main DHCP server.  It handles everything.
The second is maintained as a warm spare, but it does
serve out addresses for all the fixed-address machines.
All this works fine.  We have monitoring software that
basically sends DHCPINFORMS at the dhcp server and
waits for the acks.  This works good for the primary,
but the second server never answers because it is
not authoritative.  My one host subnet was an attempt
to make the second server answer the monitoring host.

John