DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 19:13:02 UTC 2008

Ted Lemon wrote:

>Right now, what the DHCPv4 spec says is, "here is how you configure
>a stack for IPv4."   What the DHCPv6 spec says is "here's how you
>configure a stack for IPv6."

Makes sense to me - and has the important feature of NOT affecting
any existing IPv4 only clients. If you start changing the existing
protocol then you either have to duplicate options - ie an option 6
plus a new "option 6-4 plus 6-6" - or you break all existing clients !

What's needed IMO is clients to think about how to manage multiple
sources of DNS server info (which is already an issue in a multihomed
IPv4 environment).

One option of course would be for the IPv4 client to manage only IPv4
nameserver settings, and the IPv6 client to only manage IPv6
nameserver options. What to do if the two disagree on what the domain
name or search order should be is "difficult" whatever you do :-(