DHCP Clients with Rembo Loose Addresses.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 18:48:57 UTC 2008

andres wil wrote:
>Hi, Thank you so much for take the time to read my messages.
>I have 2 network cards, eth0, eth1, eth0 has a dynamic ip coming
>from my ISP, and the eth1 has a static 192.168.0.11, subnet
>255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.254.

Have you actually configured this machine as a router ? It will not
magically act as one without further configuration.

You will need to tell it :
a) to forward packets (ie do routing)
b) do NAT (a.k.a. Masq) between the public IP and the internal
non-routable addresses.
You can do this with a few lines on the command line, but I would
suggest using a package to deal with the low level complexity and
requirement to learn the syntax for iptables. I use Shorewall on
almost every machine I set up for this.

>the ip of the machines that are conected are 253 and 252, I just
>configured samba a few minutes ago and the machines are able to see
>the folder on the server, if I make ping to 192.168.0.11, there is
>an answer,

Just a thought, does Centos install a firewall by default ? Many
default configs these days filter pings, don't know why as it offers
very very little security and causes far more headaches for net
admins trying to diagnose faults.