PB with bind, DHCP, and mail client Evolution

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Jan 23 12:44:51 UTC 2008

>Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:11:20 +0100
>From: "stephane lepain" <penguindeb at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: PB with bind, DHCP, and mail client Evolution
>

>One quick question, since I have put in my dhcp
>"ddns-update-style;none" could that be a problem with my ISP and my
>local DNS server. Saying that it wouldn't be able to do update on DNS
>on therefore the mails wouldn't be able to find its way??

ddns-update-style none;

This means that the dhcp server should not try to update the specified
DNS server with host and IP address details for the clients. Typically
this will be  your internal dns server and it is the internal IP
address, say 192.168.1.5.

It would be a very odd setup if the ISP were to allow you to make DNS
entries into the ISP's DNS server. There could be many PCs located
behind NAT routers that all use the same IP addresses, such as
192.168.*.*.

The ISP only sees connections with the source IP address being the
public IP address on your ADSL router. They do not know or care what IP
address range you use behind the router. They cannot directly initiate a
connection to those clients.

If you can ping the pop server and you can telnet to the pop3 port on
that server from the PC in question, then you have clear communication
to that service. So now it looks like a mail client configuration issue
to me.

I hope this helps.

regards,
-glenn