DDNS to a classless in-addr zone

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Wed Jan 16 18:33:24 UTC 2008

--On Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:16:48 AM +0000 Niall O'Reilly
<Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie> wrote:

> You could try to persuade ISC to accommodate your zone-naming convention,
> perhaps pointing out that the examples in RFC2317 support the use of '/'.
> [ OTOH, a strict reading of RFC1034 might be used to oppose this idea. ]

Really, the "zone" statement parser ought to be extended to allow a literal
string in place of a hostname.  The current grammar rejects many perfectly
valid domain names.

I know of nothing in RFC1034 which suggests that only letters, digits,
dash, and underscore are valid in domain name labels.  I'd be curious as to
exactly what text you think might be interpreted in this way.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>