Recovering from loss of leases.dhcpd on secondary of failover pair

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Jan 12 13:39:07 UTC 2008

>Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:13:23 +1100
>From: Nick Urbanik <nicku at nicku.org>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: Recovering from loss of leases.dhcpd on secondary of failover pair
>
>Dear Folks,
>
>On 12/01/08 22:06 +1100, Nick Urbanik wrote:
>> This does not seem right.  I see none of the usual evidence of
>> rebalancing in the logs.  Can anyone suggest some way to trigger the
>> two machines to balance their leases?
>
>Do you think that I might cause any problems by restarting the
>secondary while it is in recover state, and the primary is in partner
>down state?

My experience of shutting down the secondary, putting the primary into
partner down, and then starting the secondary is that the primary
immediately moves out of partner down mode. Now this was without
starting with an empty dhcpd.leases file, so it might behave somewhat
differently.

Are you sure communication is working between the two dhcp servers?
What messages, if any, are there in the log files? What version of
dhcpd?

regards,
-glenn