DHCP Server on an Wireless Bridge

Vincent Arniego vincent_arniego at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 02:28:20 UTC 2008

From: Glenn Satchell <Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au>
To: dhcp-users at isc.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:53:37 PM
Subject: Re: DHCP Server on an Wireless Bridge

be
described
by
the
vendor
as
being
bridge.

[va] This is the equipment, it can be a bridge or an access point.
http://motorola.canopywireless.com/products/advantage/

>Have
you
contacted
the
vendor
see
if
this
"feature"
can
be
turned
>off
and
the
device
made
into
real
bridge
?

[va] Actually, we asked the vendor to make this as it is a translated bridge.
We are currently serving around 300K subs as of today, and not making it translated will be
an inventory nightmare. Somehow by translating the layer 2 mac of the device, we are able to determine which antennas are still active. Oh yeah, why not use the uniqueness of the PC mac? Because its not unique.
There are NIC's that somehow have the same MAC. And that's the same reason, why I would like to use the bridge's MAC as DHCP lease basis.

Can
you
put
relay
device
behind
the
bridge
and
use
that
forward
the
dhcp
requests?
For
example,
using
router
or
computer
running
dhcrelay?
Can
the
"bridge"
function
as
dhcp
relay?
Can
you
tell
us
what
vendor/model
the
"bridge"
is?

[va] Motorola Canopy, option 82 is not yet built in, but we might ask them to include it.

regards,
-glenn