bind update on .... from dhcp rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing update

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Dec 19 19:13:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 04:50:01PM +0100, Fabien Mauger wrote:
> ==> bind update on ... from dhcp rejected: incoming update is less
> critical than outgoing update
>
> Everything seems to work, but I was wondering what can generate those
> logs?

This is a curious situation, because it's one where I can't really
silence the logs very easily.

What's happening is the local server is sending a binding update, and
has received a binding update before receiving an ack on its own
update (so it is still pending).

In this case, the server doesn't want to ack the peer's update,
because the peer will receive that ack after the local server's
update.

So it has to reject or nak the binding update to clear it from the
peer's queue.

If we get a rejected update, we always log the reason.

If you're getting this on every single binding update, then you've
got a strange configuration or something.  You should only get these
on initial transactions, where the clients already have active leases
or where the servers are configured to both respond (secs exceeds
"load balance max secs").

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/