ISC DHCP server offers fixed IP addresses to ANY device!

Foggi, Nicola NFOGGI at depaul.edu
Sun Dec 28 20:31:40 UTC 2008

David,

We use the "reserved" functionality of dhcpd to handle primarily our network printers (and special pc's on net that need "static" ip's for one reason or another.

For printers, our field guys deploy a printer, set it to dhcp, print the test page, and submit that ip/mac address which then we turn around and "reserve" it for that printer and then a print queue is setup for it etc... we do something similar for pc's that require a "static" ip for some reason or another.

It's legacy from our Cisco Network Registrar that currently runs most of the campus, but we're slowly migrating to DHCPD to replace it.  It has proven to be quite handy.  I initially started doing fixed-addresses for them all, but i would have to shrink my available pool of dynamic ip's or chop it up, and that was much more and disruptive.  Once we got the info about setting the flag via omapi that simplified the "reserved" flag!  (now if there was a way to "unset" the reserved flag!

I think at least in our case the reserved flag is the way to go from a management perspective, so i hope to see it continue to evolve!  For instance, i've seen some cases where the server will allow the client to request a different ip and the server ACK's it, whereas i would prefer the NAK it and then offer it the reserved ip when the client re-discovers.

Nicola Foggi
Networks and Telecom
DePaul University