Brother printer and option "routers"

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.uzh.ch
Fri Dec 12 14:47:57 UTC 2008

> Tina,
>
> I'm using a Brother HL1870N printer and it accepts the gateway address
> via ISC DHCP Server V3.0.6 (running on Ubuntu 8.04):
>
> ***
>
> I got these settings by telneting to my printer
> and using 'access' as the password (its the default)
>
> show ip
>
> IP is Enabled
> IP address    192.168.1.30              Boot tries    3
> Subnet mask   255.255.255.0             Boot method   DHCP
> IP Gateway    192.168.1.10              Max window    4096
> (via DHCP 192.168.1.10)
> LPD banner    Disabled                  Timeout       60 min
> LPD retry     Enabled        LPD type      TYPE1
> Service
>  BRN_346541_P1                 Port      TCP port
> P1         9100
>
> Local>
>

> [you can get the same info by going to the printer's webpage
> and looking at network -> configure TCP/IP (in my case)]
> ***

Hi Doug

That's exactly what I do (going to the printer's page with a browser),
but this only works if the machine with the browser is in the same
subnet as the printer. When I check the settings of the network
configuration, I see the following:

TCP/IP: Active
IP address: 130.60.x.y
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Boot method: DHCP

Using telnet, I get this:

Local> show ip

IP is Enabled
IP address    130.60.225.94             Boot tries    3
Subnet mask   255.255.255.128           Boot method   DHCP
IP Gateway    0.0.0.0                   Max window    4096
  (via DHCP)
LPD banner    Disabled                  Timeout       5 min
LPD retry     Enabled
LPD type      TYPE1

  Service          Port  TCP port
  BRN008077CA5682   P1     9100

DNS server method is AUTO
Primary DNS server address is 130.60.128.3
Secondary DNS server address is 130.60.64.51

Timeout for gateway is 5 seconds

The priority IP version of name resolving is IPv4

I've been looking at some of our other Brother printers, and it's the
same for all of them. We just never noticed since we have one subnet
per building, and usually people print to printers within their
building/subnet. And of course this works without the gateway address.

Tina