DDNS updates to two master DNS servers

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Tue Dec 2 17:52:33 UTC 2008

--On Tuesday, December 02, 2008 07:34:12 AM -0500 "Scott McCamish
(Contractor)" <mccamish at usna.edu> wrote:

> In regards to the multiple-masters setup, I find I can keep them both
> correctly updated easier than I'd expect to be able to recover from a
> hardware failure on the master of a master/slave setup.

You can do that if the zones are static.  Once you begin accepting dynamic
updates, you can't just drop in new zone files, and you really need a
single master to insure consistency.  Otherwise, sooner or later you're
going to end up in a situation where some updates were applied to one
server but not the other, and now both the zone contents and serial numbers
are out of sync.