DHCP, Dynamic DNS, and IPv6

Loren M. Lang lorenl at north-winds.org
Wed Aug 20 08:27:23 UTC 2008

I have ISC DHCP 4.0.0 and BIND 9 running my server using interim Dynamic
DNS updates with TSIG for security.  All has been well until my recent
deployment of IPv6.  I am not using DHCP for IPv6, but simply IPv6
auto-configuration.  I have been manually adding AAAA and PTR records
for the IPv6 addresses of my hosts.  Once I create an AAAA record for a
host I find that DHCP can no longer recreate the A and TXT records for
an expired lease once the host comes back up.  It appears that DHCP does
a query for the name and receives a response with nothing in the Answers
section, but a status of NOERROR instead of NXDOMAIN.  At that point it
decides that it can't update the name even though there is no A or TXT
records for it.  How can I get DHCP to update the records regardless of
the existence of a AAAA record?
--
Loren M. Lang
lorenl at north-winds.org
http://www.north-winds.org/

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B