BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases

Joe Polcari jpolcari at bluesocket.com
Fri Aug 8 18:53:18 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Falanga
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 2:04 PM
To: dhcp-users at isc.org
Subject: BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases

Hello,

I'm searching for help in resolving the issue that manifests itself with
the error message, "BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases," in
my new dhcpd server setup.  This server is only to service bootp
clients, though these clients aren't actually using bootp to boot
anythng they're just getting an IP address, and I continually get this
error.  My IP setup is where I work and I don't run the IT situations.
My team regularly changes hardware and to meet the demand we were given
a small block of IP within the subnet in which we operate to use on a
local bootp server.  Our existing server is having problems and is dying
a dramatic death.

Anyway, I'm desperately trying to setup a new server.  I cannot share
the full text of my config file, sorry because I know that's what
everyone would prefer.  Below shows what's in there but is edited to
remove our host names and IP addresses.  As I mentioned I have a small
block within the subnet demonstrated below.  There are 44 host entries
corresponding to the 44 IP addresses I have control over.  Only one host
entry is needed below because all 44 look identical, except for
addresses and such.

not authoritative;
ddns-update-style none;
deny unknown-clients;
allow bootp;
use-host-decl-names on;

subnet 192.168.24.0 netmask 255.255.248.0 {
       # this server will only host bootp, thus the range is left out
       #leases
       default-lease-time 6000;
       max-lease-time 6000;
       option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
       option broadcast-address 192.168..31.255;
       option routers 192.168.24.1;
       option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.51;
       option domain-name "internal.domain"; }

host host1 {
       option host-name "host1";
       hardware ethernet 00:01:a2:4a:cc:af;
       fixed-address 192.168.27.0;
}

My server starts so I know I haven't any syntactic issues.
Originally, I had the "not authoritative;" line set to "authoritative"
but thought that might be it.  How should this be configured to get this
to work?  Also, I've read in the dhcpd.conf(5) manual page that keyword
"option" corresponds to actual options defined in the DHCP spec.  Being
that this is for bootp only, perhaps I can leave them out, but I wasn't
sure and have as yet left them in.

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks,
Andy