dhcpd failover server gives misleading error

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Aug 7 17:54:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 05:25:24PM +0200, Daniel Grandjean wrote:
> I'm running the latest 3.1.1 in failover mode.
>
> DHCPDISCOVER from 00:1c:23:15:2e:c7 via aaa.bbb.ccc.252: peer holds all
> free leases
>
> After spending a lot of time watching the lease file content, the
> failover protocol and so on, (and found no problems)
>
> I appear that the 00:1c:23:15:2e:c7 client belongs to the denied class
> win2k-clients.
>
> So the logged message is misleading and scary for the admin and
> monitoring scripts  ;-)
>
> Is this a configuration issue?

That's strange.

The new iterative allocate_lease() function, which 3.1.1 definitely
has, shouldn't have this issue.  It first seeks across pools by ACL,
and then digs into them for candidate leases.

So a lease that isn't permitted by ACL shouldn't get deeper into the
loop to have the "peer_has_leases" boolean set true.

I'd suspect there is another pool in that shared network the client
is allowed access to, and the server was unable to grant.